Wednesday, December 29, 2010

why i AM lucky

                   My last post was about how luck has nothing to do with the choice to travel. It has everything to do with having some balls and just doing it. You can check out that post here.

Now I am going to tell you why I AM lucky.

I am lucky to have a job that will take me back every summer, and allow me to travel all winter. If this were not the case, I would find another job. But I am lucky to have a job that allows me this freedom.


I am lucky to be healthy. I am young(ish), active and in fine health. This allows me to be adventurous, try anything, walk everywhere with a heavy backpack and go anywhere. I can travel off the beaten path where the beds aren’t so nice, the water not so clean and danger could lurk around any corner. I can climb a mountain, jump out of a plane, explore the depths of the ocean, run, walk, cartwheel and explore anything this world has to offer. I am grateful to be healthy, and do realize that maybe one day I will get old and this type of travel may no longer be an option. This is why I will do all that I can, while I can. I am not looking forward to ever be on a seniors tour bus. I am lucky I plan on staying 25 for life.

I am lucky to have such great friends at home. I may be gone for months or years at a time, with only short visits home, but when I am here I know I have some of the best friends in the world waiting to hear about the latest adventure. Although our lives are on very different paths, when I am at home I fit right back into the group. They support me and my lifestyle and are the first ones to reassure me of my life choices when the pressure to have a “regular” life is mounting. No matter where I am or how long I am gone, I am lucky to know that my best friends are thinking of me, waiting for me to come back and wishing me well all along the way.

I am lucky to have an amazing travel partner. Few people manage to find a friend to travel the world with for years and years. Our friendship becomes stronger with every continent we conquer. We fill in the gaps of each other’s personality. I cook, she cleans. I research places, she makes them happen. I get lost, she reads the map. I find the cheap deals, she books them. Together we are an amazing team. We never fight, and almost always have the same ideas about where we want to go, what we want to see and what we want to do. A great travel partner is rare, and I am luck to have the best one ever!

I am lucky to have a great family. When I am home, we have huge family dinners and everyone is excited to hear about my latest adventure. They cook my favourite foods, and listen as I describe the next adventure I have planned. You can’t pick your family, and I am lucky to be stuck with the one I have.

I am lucky to have great parents. Although I am sure they are still waiting for me to “grow up”, they have stopped asking me about it. I know they will never turn my bedroom into an office or a storage room. They will take me back home anytime I want, whether it is for the weekend or a couple of months. My Mom takes me shopping when I am home and buys me all kinds of things while I save my money for the next adventure. My Dad puts money in my account whenever I casually mention that I am poor or am surviving on only 10 euros a week. When I only have a ticket half way home and my credit card is more than maxed out, I know I can count on them to get me the rest of the way home. My mom always has my favourite foods cooking when I get home, as she knows it has probably been weeks since I had a good, wholesome meal. I know I can count on them for whatever I need, if I am ever stuck in a jam on the other side of the world. I am lucky and very thankful for Mommy and Daddy.

I am not lucky to travel, that is my choice. But I am lucky in a million other ways

.
Join me as I TRAVEL MY LIFE AWAY…..with departure less than 3 days away!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment